1/12/11

(comment) WP7 update with faster app load times, copy and paste is real; release date remains nebulous -- Engadget

WP7 update with faster app load times, copy and paste is real; release date remains nebulous -- Engadget

My post on this:
Lots of long comments here so I'm guessing this will get lost in the shuffle, but....

I was a long time Window Mobile user/developer all the way back to before it was a phone (just a PDA). I now am a iphone4 user. I went to AT&T to play with the new WP7 phones. I like them better than Android for the simple user experience and would buy a WP7 phone before an Android right now, but neither of them makes me want to switch from my iPhone. Both of them suffer from manufacturing differences in HW that gives a poor user experience for consistency. Android suffers even more with bigger UI differences between phones, but Google is doing what MS did so well in the past and markets the ?hit out of it and throws gobs of money at it. Its doing great for some of the wrong reasons just like MS did years back in lots of areas.

I hope MS does wp7 right. WP7 is an enormous improvement in usability over Windows Mobile 6.x. One thing that both Google and MS have to catch up on are the apps compared to iphone, which is the way it always is for the latecomers. It was apps that was the final straw that got me to switch from WM to iphone. And there isn't a compelling reason to switch away from my iphone. My biggest gripe on any platform is speed so when someone comes out with something that's absolutely lightning fast with everything that doesn't need internet access, I'll be looking at it.

No comments: